Re: Peptide insertion into a membrane

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2013 - 15:08:10 CDT

In real life, I wouldn't expect the insertion of a peptide into a membrane
to take place in low nanosecond time scales; I speculate it would go a few
orders of magnitudes slower. If standard simulation techniques would make
it happen that much faster, then these techniques would not be an
acceptable representation of reality.

Trying to study phenomena that are beyond accessible simulation time
scales is an extremely common occurrence in the field, and there exists an
enormous body of literature on the subject, with many different tricks and
techniques available to obtain specific kinds of information
(thermodynamics, kinetics, mechanism...)

Increasing the temperature doesn't sound like a good idea because doing so
in a significant matter is likely to fatally distort the observables you
want to study in the first place. Instead, one thing that could be
considered is starting from an educated guess of how the peptide is
inserted, equilibrate for a long time, then slowly pull the peptide out of
the membrane with an external force. This is not entirely trivial to do,
but neither are the other options. Again, please refer to the literature.