Re: setting the polarizabilities for the Drude force field

From: Hadi Dinpajooh (mdinpajo_at_asu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2013 - 13:39:42 CDT

Frank,

The PSF file contains information about q_D, polarizability (alpha),
lone-pairs, thole parameter, etc., but it does not contain any information
about force constant. You should add force constant information to the
parameter file when you run NAMD simulations. You do need to calculate the
force constant, k_D, for given values of alpha and q_D. However, you can
calculate q_D for given values of alpha and k_D instead (I believe this is
how CHARMM generates PSF files). If you use a very stiff force constant,
then the displacement of the Drude particle remains much smaller than any
interatomic distance. Also note that if you want to use a force constant of
1000 kcal/(mol Ang^2), you should set it to 500 kcal/(mol Ang^2) in the
parameter file due to the potential function used for bond stretches, i.e.
V(bond) = Kb(b - b0)**2.

Good luck!
Hadi
Mohammadhasan Dinpajooh