Re: src/ComputeNonbondedCUDA.C:1022: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target

From: David Hardy (dhardy_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2013 - 11:07:48 CST

Dear Evi,

Sorry, this is one is actually a NAMD software issue. Dating back to the earliest NAMD CUDA kernel implementations, the code uses static variables (with global file scope). Now for SMP, these variables are made thread safe using the "static __thread" declaration, which works on Linux, but not for Windows or MacOSX builds. I'll look into implementing a fix for this.

Best regards,
Dave

--
David J. Hardy, Ph.D.
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics