Re: restraining

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2012 - 22:29:54 CDT

Two possibilities:

1) You should be able to effectively accomplish this by imposing an
extremely high force constant in either the "restraints/constraints"
or the "colvars" approach.

2) To utilize the SHAKE algorithm directly in such a manner, ......
does your topology/PSF file include an explicit H-H bond for HS?

Chris

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Christopher Rowley <cnrowley_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have been more clear about this: I want to keep the hydrogen
> sulfide molecules rigid according to the equations by imposing the SHAKE
> algorithm on the H-H distance, like in rigid water molecules.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> On 24/08/2012 12:38 AM, Chris Harrison wrote:
>>
>> 'rigidbonds all' only refers to hydrogen bonds. It is a parameter for
>> the Rattle/Settle algorithm.
>>
>> You are looking for either "restraints/constraints":
>>
>> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.9/ug/node27.html#5771
>>
>> or the "colvars module":
>>
>> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.9/ug/node53.html
>>
>> Either option should allow you to set the restraints you describe.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Christopher Rowley <cnrowley_at_mun.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using NAMD for simulations of a model for hydrogen sulphide (H2S).
>>> The
>>> model is defined as being rigid, like TIP3P, so I've included the
>>> command
>>> "rigidbonds all" Nevertheless, the H-S-H bond is flexible in MD
>>> simulations.
>>>
>>> The PSF file contains a bond between the two hydrogens, but this doesn't
>>> seem to make a difference.
>>>
>>> Unless I've misunderstood, H-H bonds should be identified in Molecule.C
>>>
>>> Molecule.C:
>>> if ( ! is_water(a2) ) { // H-H but not water
>>> rigidBondLengths[a1] = ( mode == RIGID_ALL ? x0 : 0. );

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd       Voice: 773-570-6078