Re: rigidBonds water and langevinHydrogen off are INCOMPATIBLE when using a solute with hdyrogens

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2012 - 14:47:48 CST

Hi all,

I should have some code to separate water and non-water temperatures
checked in tonight.

I still need to run more tests, but my current line of thought is that
with "langevinHydrogen off" and "rigidBonds water" the protein has a lower
level of temperature coupling per degree of freedom than the water, the
protein will conserve energy worse than the water because it has
high-frequency bonds to hydrogens, and the temperature coupling is turned
off specifically on those high-frequency bonds most likely to heat.

That said, the reported temperature difference seems unlikely, as the
above explanation would suggest that "langevinHydrogen off" without rigid
bonds should produce a similarly high temperature for the whole system.
I don't see how "rigidBonds water" would cause the protein to heat more.

Again, this is all speculation. Tests are running.

-Jim