RE: vmd-l: Gromacs analysis tools for Namd output

From: Kei Sit (kei.sit_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2012 - 17:33:01 CST

Hi Paul,

I have personally used GROMACS to analyse NAMD output files. I use a bit of a workaround for this.

First I use catDCD and convert the .dcd file to a .trr file. This format is readable in GROMACS. I did find however that GROMACS reads the time slightly differently (I kept getting 400ps instead of 4ns). I emailed the GMX email list and the reply was to use trjconv and specify the timestep of 1 (or whatever it is for you). I don't seem to be losing any information here so I'm quite confident it works fine. Also, if you've been using VMD to create your .psf and .pdb files, you'll soon run into the problem that the Histidine residues (if you're doing protein stuff) are named differently. I have had to rename all Histidine residues to HIS instead of HSE HSP and HSD.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Jacky