Re: no. of CPUs for optimal GTX-690 performance

From: Michael Purdy (mdp3w_at_virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2012 - 08:45:13 CST

Thanks everyone for the input. A clarification on my original post, the
current Opterons are 2200 series (dual core) and the GTX-690 is plugged
into a PCIe 2.0 slot.

So increasing the CPU clock speed here is what I'm considering:

Dual Xeon E5-2670 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.6 GHz (8-core) CPUs
GTX-690 (2 GPU, 3072-core)
32 GB RAM
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard

motherboard specs
Intel® Socket 2011 Processors
Dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 product family
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
Chipset Intel® C602
Memory 8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3
2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC,
Un-buffered Memory
Quad Channel Memory Architecture
System Bus 8.0/7.2/6.4 GT/s Intel® QuickPath Interconnect
Multi-GPU Support Supports NVIDIA® 4-Way SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology

The total cost of this workstation will be about $5000 ($3079 for the
CPUs). Has anyone tried the AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (8-core) $219?

Michael

--
Michael Purdy