Re: NAMD Run Instabilities

From: Marc Gordon (marcgrdn55_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2012 - 08:39:55 CDT

Sorry That was the extreme end of my messing around to see at what points
the instabilities were cropping up on. I perhaps shouldn't have bothered to
include the run part as that has varied widely from test to test. I think
the biggest duration I tried was something like 2000ns and not just 1500ns.

At more reasonable numbers of steps (anything below 800ns if I recall
correctly) the system is actually pretty stable and I don't see the
instabilities. It is only when I get to numbers of steps close to a billion
that it starts with the instability.

The reason I started cranking the run durations up was that my supervisor
pointed out that the free energy plots being produced were varying between
identical runs and were a little jagged. She suggested that perhaps I had
an issue with convergence and to run it longer. So that is what I did.

Should I perhaps have tried a different tactic?

What do you mean by "the tiny size of the system make almost all of the
other discussions pointless. there is no way to make this kind of system
scale beyond a few threads."?

You mean I should keep my numsteps low? There is no need to crank it up so
high? This is where this instability is coming from?