Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: Error in membrane protein simulation

From: amin_at_imtech.res.in
Date: Tue Sep 04 2012 - 02:12:37 CDT

Hi,
  I agree that was a mistake by me. It happened because I measured water to set
the cell size as given in the tutorial. But the POPCs stick out of the water
box in the xy plane,which is also mentioned in the tutorial. In my particular
case the extra 1 A was not enough, so when I measured the x y dimensions of
the POPC layer and adjusted cell size accordingly, I got rid of "constraints"
error. But even after making the required changes in the cell size, the issue
of overlapping atoms doesn't go away and the VDW energies are still 99999999,
probably showing that the problem is more than the cell dimensions. So your
idea of adding such a warning in building stage would be very helpful.
Regards.
Amin.

> Hi,
>
> I think it would make sense to add such a warning at a system building
> stage, maybe for psfgen. Such a "simple" structure check is also implemented
> in the amber tools. For example, when doing saveamberparm in xleap, which is
> the same as psfgen for charmm, messages like "Close contact between x and y"
> or "There is an bond of 7A between x and y" or "The total charge of the
> system is not zero". At this stage of using VMD as a system building tool
> (and not as visualizer) it would be a nice thing IMHO.
>
> Nevertheless, if someone builds a system, set a box dimension, solvate it,
> then use different cell size in the simulation and wonders about
> superimposed atoms, even such a feature can't help. -_-
>
> Norman Geist.

सूक्ष्मजीव प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान (वैज्ञानिक औद्योगिक अनुसंधान परिषद)
Institute of Microbial Technology (A CONSTITUENT ESTABLISHMENT OF CSIR)
सैक्टर 39 ए, चण्डीगढ़ / Sector 39-A, Chandigarh
पिन कोड/PIN CODE :160036
दूरभाष/EPABX :0172 6665 201-202