Re: restraining

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2012 - 03:09:54 CDT

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Norman Geist
<norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> also, as far as I know, the H-O-H in TIP3P is not rigid because of the bond,
> but because the angle is fixed by default. The SHAKE is, as I think, only

correct. the H-H bond is used in CHARMM and Amber to make water
molecules rigid through a 3 bond constraint. NAMD will ignore this, since
i has code that recognizes water molecules based on some heuristics.

> applied for the O-H bonds. So you can't use SHAKE for that. But you could
> just try to introduce a fixed angle. Therefore you could modify the
> forcefield of your molecule itself by using a high force for the angle for
> example, or use the NAMD feature extrabonds which also allows to introduce
> extra angles to the system with a custom force.

the better solution would be to modify the NAMD source code to recognize
the H2S as a water and then use the special optimized code for computing
rigid water molecules. it would be *much* more efficient.

cheers,
    axel.