Re: Three GPU cards on shared-mem motherboard

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2012 - 05:35:51 CDT

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
> I am using NAMD on a consumer motherboard with two GTX-580 and one AMD
> Phenom II 1075T (six logical CPUs).
>
> I wonder whether NAMD code can run on three GTX-580 with the same AMD
> cpu above (providing the required two logical CPUs per GPU board). If
> so, I would also have to change the motherboard. I am considering

this has nothing to do with NAMD. if you can stick in
the GPUs, you can use them with CUDA.

however, whether you'll get good performance
out of it is a different question. performance depends
not only on the capability of the GPU but also
on the available bandwidth on the PCIe slots
(are all of them *real* 16x PCIe 2.x?) and the
memory bandwidth available to the CPUs.
because of those issues, performance will also
depend on the size of the problem that you'll
be running. not easy to tell up front,

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer