Re: beta column

From: Nicholas Musolino (musolino_at_mit.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 07:48:46 CDT

Hello Swarna,

So, in an earlier e-mail E. Enriques provided some good ideas about using separate files.

The other possibility is to use VMD in an automated way to do this. The basic approach would be:

1. Run VMD; you can load your PSF and .coor files by providing them as command-line arguments.

2. Create an atom selection for all the atoms you would like to be fixed. You could use a simple selection approach (listing atom indices) or a more elegant one (all atoms with a certain name) if possible.

3. Set beta for selection (see http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/vmd/tutorial-html/node4.html).

4. Write a new PDB file, which will have the appropriate beta values.

All this can be automated a great deal using TCL files, shell scripts, etc., but there's a bit of a learning curve to all that.

Hope this is helpful!