update: segmentation faults with AMBER topology and RAMD tcl scripts

From: Vlad Cojocaru (Vlad.Cojocaru_at_h-its.org)
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 08:31:27 CST

Dear all,

To test the errors I've been commenting on recently I compiled today's
CVS code of NAMD (23 February 2010) using exactly the same protocol as
for my last running compilation (13 August 2009). Tcl version is
tcl8.4.19. Architecture: x86_64 + infniband + intel 11.0 compiler +
mvapich1.4rc1. The compilation worked absolutely fine.

Then I ran the RAMD tests which resulted in "Segmentation violation" .
Then I tested the new executable for one of my standard MD simulation
using AMBER topology. The same undefined error occurred.

To conclude, the latest CVS code produces segmentation faults on AMBER
topologies regardless whether RAMD is switched on or not. Therefore,
this error apparently has nothing to do with the RAMD scripts. It looks
as if the amber topology is read correctly but the program exists with
segmentation violation immediately after reading the topology (below
last lines of the output)

I could not test against CHARMM topologies as I don't have one but
another NAMD user mentioned recently that the code runs fine on CHARMM
topologies while observing the same errors with AMBER topologies.

To test the RAMD scripts until the problem with the AMBER topologies
will be fixed, I suggest to compile namd 2.6 against tcl8.4.19 or above.
If you still see errors, please let me know.

Cheers
Vlad