Re: Namd with Amber ff for RNA minimization

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2010 - 02:14:20 CST

Dear Irina:

I am sorry to hear NAMD tried to change the structure of your DNA
helix - and apparently succeeded in doing so. Nevertheless, NAMD did
nothing but what you asked it to. It performed a local energy
minimization in vacuum, with a given force field. Now here are a
couple of questions:

- is that DNA fragment an A-helix in vacuum?
- is the force field _meant_ to give good results in vacuum?
- is the force field maybe meant to give solution structures when used
in vacuum?

I am by no means an expert on nucleic acids, but rumor has it that
they are sensitive to solvent effects, ionic strength and the like.

Best,
Jerome