Re: Modifying a peptide and introducing residues

From: Jason Richard Mick (dw2413_at_wayne.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2010 - 08:37:31 CDT

Hi Aditya,
You should look at how patch residues (PRES) are applied to serine and other amino acid residues in the latest version of CHARMM. A patch lets you add a small modification on to amino acids (see phosphorylated serine, for example). This would be the easiest and most efficient route to accomplish what you are asking.

As for the Asn residue, that's a bit more challenging. What you will likely have to do is figure out how much space the Asn is going to occupy and then shift the coordinates of the previous residues accordingly, inserting the new residue in your PDB file, while making sure your R-chain isn't overlapping the rest of residues. Molecular modelling tools like Gaussian View (if you have access to it) may even allow you to directly do this, without even editing the PDB file by hand or by script.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jason