Re: about DCD file format document

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 07:29:02 CDT

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jun Zhang <coolrainbow_at_yahoo.cn> wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> Is there any documents about the format of NAMD output dcd file? I have tried to write a function of READ_DCD by reading the source code of NAMD and it had succeeded. However, The dcd file generated by WRITE_DCD function I wrote cannot be rocgnized by VMD. Maybe this is because the "padding bits" in the dcd file that I cannot understand their meanings through NAMD source code. If there is such a document anywhere, please tell me. Thank you in advance.

why go through those pains and implement the dcd format directly?
it would be _so_ much simpler to write an interface to the
molfile plugin library and as a bonus you'd gain support for _all_
formats that molfile supports.
have a look at the catdcd sources for an example of its usage.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/