Re: Free energy calculation yields strange results

From: Jun Zhang (coolrainbow_at_yahoo.cn)
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 21:25:57 CDT

Hi Jérôme Hénin:

Thank you very much for your reply! I have tried the FEP in vacuo and I do get a ZERO result by the following arguments. Does this mean there is not any problems in my force field parameters?

alchVdwLambdaEnd 1.0
alchElecLambdaStart 0.5
alchVdWShiftCoeff 6.0
alchDecouple yes
alchEquilSteps 5000
run 10000

My target molecule in R(aq)--S(aq) FEP calculation involves 16 atoms disappearing and 16 atoms appearing. To test my configuration, I had simplified the molecule(replace a long chain by a hydrogen) and had calculated the FEP of the process

miniR(aq) -- miniS(aq)

, which involves only 3 atoms disappearing and 3 atoms appearing, in aqueous. What surprised me is that without a soft-core potential I can get a ZEOR result:

WITH soft-core potential:

lchVdwLambdaEnd 1.0
alchElecLambdaStart 0.5
alchVdWShiftCoeff 6.0
alchDecouple yes
alchEquilSteps 1000
set numSteps 1000

window net change
0.0 0.0
0.05 -0.4193
0.1 -0.2837
0.15 -0.0038
0.2 0.3774
0.25 0.6252
0.3 1.4203
0.35 1.2897
0.4 1.3728
0.45 1.1525
0.5 1.1773
0.55 1.0678
0.6 1.0874
0.65 1.4239
0.7 1.6932
0.75 1.9875
0.8 2.1508
0.85 2.5398
0.9 3.2771
0.95 3.538
1 3.8044

WITHOUT soft-core potential:

alchVdwLambdaEnd 1.0
alchElecLambdaStart 1.0
alchVdWShiftCoeff 0.0
alchDecouple no
alchEquilSteps 1000
set numSteps 1000

window net change
0.0 0.0
0.05 0.4786
0.1 0.5852
0.15 0.7195
0.2 0.8346
0.25 0.8222
0.3 0.7789
0.35 0.792
0.4 0.9734
0.45 1.0781
0.5 1.0515
0.55 1.1112
0.6 0.9862
0.65 1.0949
0.7 1.0057
0.75 0.8328
0.8 0.6884
0.85 0.5455
0.9 0.5584
0.95 0.0632
1 -0.1426

This is strange because in my opinion soft-core potential usually yields better results.

Then I tried my target molecule (involving 16 appearing and 16 disappearing atoms), however, neither with nor without soft-core potential works:

window with soft without soft
0.0 0.0 0.0
0.05 68.0538 66.6033
0.1 138.18 125.502
0.15 209.085 183.996
0.2 279.447 242.828
0.25 349.937 301.042
0.3 418.634 359.287
0.35 485.52 417.705
0.4 550.931 476.015
0.45 613.22 534.227
0.5 672.778 592.173
0.55 730.448 649.799
0.6 786.848 707.364
0.65 841.011 765.282
0.7 893.274 823.226
0.75 943.493 880.766
0.8 991.912 938.088
0.85 1040.59 995.253
0.9 1090.46 1052.67
0.95 1139.29 1109.44
1 1187.51 1165.92

Increasing alchVdWShiftCoeff does not work. Is the 16 atoms change too steep for the alchemical transformation so causes a terrible sampling problem? I am performing FEP simulation with a longer timescale and waiting to see the results.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Jun Zhang
Nankai University
coolrainbow_at_yahoo.cn

--- 10å¹´5月10日,周一, Jérôme Hénin <jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr> 写é“: