Re: Center of Mass Harmonic Potentials

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 19 2010 - 01:56:34 CST

Hi Keith,
Let me just add to Axel's reply with a word about the mathematical
logic behind that, i.e. a simple chain rule.

If you apply a biasing potential V(C(R)), where R = {r_i}, i<=N and
the center of mass
C(R) = 1/M Sum (m_i * r_i)
(M the total mass, etc.).
The total force on the group is F = -dV/dC
The force on a given atom i should be F_i = -dV / dr_i
then (chain rule) F_i = (m_i / M) * F

I hope that made things clearer.

Jerome