Re: NAMD benchmark results for dual-Nehalem, was Re: questions regarding new single node box for NAMD: re components, CUDA, Fermi

From: Gengbin Zheng (gzheng_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 11:54:33 CST

There should not be that substantial performance drop from 4 to 8 cores
for NAMD on Nehalem.
Here is the NAMD apoa1 performance data that I have on Linux:

Ubuntu Linux on Nehalem 2xquad core 2.26GHz (single node)

     1 1.7 s/step
     2 0.879
     4 0.46
     8 0.245
     16 0.204

 As expected, the performance flats out at 16 cores (or beyond +p8) when
hyperthreading is used. But it scales well from 4 to 8. This result is
with cpu affinity enabled I think. Just run namd with command line
option +setcpuaffinity. This option also works for windows, and you can
give it a try.

  I don't have official NAMD performance data for windows. But I did a
port for Charm++/NAMD on their HPC cluster using Microsoft MPI (msmpi)
for Microsoft. NAMD in general scales pretty well to 256 cores (total
16 nodes) on their 16 core Nehalem Windows HPC server with
hyperthreading disabled, and the performance is comparable to what we
had on Linux. I don't know anything about running NAMD on Windows 7,
but I heard it is a heavy operating system that may not be as friendly
for parallel computing as windows HPC server. If you are building a
large windows cluster, windows HPC server may be the way to go.

Gengbin