RE: questions regarding new single node box for NAMD: re components, CUDA, Fermi

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 12:57:39 CDT

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:42 -0500, Richard Owczarzy wrote:

richard,

> We plan to buy a small computer cluster (32-cores) for 10-40K atoms
> NAMD
> simulations. We are considering 4 nodes of 2 x quad Xeon X5570 with
> InfiniBand versus single Linux system, SGI Altix 450 with 16 dual
> Itanium 2 processors, 1.6 GHz. Some older benchmarks for SGI ALTIX
> Itanium look impressive, so we are wondering about the best
> price/performance option. I have not seen any recent benchmarks. Does
> anybody have any experience comparing SGI Altix Itanium versus Xeon
> systems? Any thoughts, suggestions?

the current xeons should squash itaniums in almost every aspect.

also, on the itanium finding compilers that produce fast code and
don't miscompile your code at higher optimization level is a nightmare.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology