multi-cluster configuration

From: Piotr Kopta (pkopta_at_man.poznan.pl)
Date: Mon Aug 24 2009 - 16:18:42 CDT

Hi all,

I'm trying to launch the NAMD in multi-cluster configuration therefore, I have a few
questions about the NAMD architecture and it's constraints:
- when I'm launching NAMD between 32- and 64-bit machines, I get error
   'Unknown message type' - does this mean that NAMD can't be executed
   simultaneously on different architectures ? (on both machines I have used
   2.7b1 version compiled with gcc/mpi support)
- whether the NAMD can adapt to the multi-cluster architecture: fast inter-nodes
   connections and relatively slow inter-cluster connections ? does anybody
   perform such tests ?
- do such multi-cluster architectures require different scheduler settings
   than a single cluster configuration in order to obtain optimal performance ?
- is it possible to launch NAMD simultaneously on two different architectures
   e.g. some processes on x86_64 and few on GPU accelerated machines ?

Any informations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Piotr Kopta
email: pkopta_at_man.poznan.pl
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center