Re: FEP implementation in NAMD 2.6 vs. 2.7b1

From: Floris Buelens (floris_buelens_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 01:50:40 CDT

Hi Dan,

as a general principle it's dangerous to make presumptions about how the transformation pathway 'should' look, since a fundamental characteristic of the method is that your intermediate states bear no realtion to any physical reality, and as such it's only really valid to compare the readout at the end points with known values, and / or determine objective statistical measures of the validity of the transformation pathway (such as overlap between states or reproducibility). The new implementation will definitely produce a different-looking curve as the lambda-dependence of both van der Waals and electrostatics is very different from previous versions.

Best,

Floris