Re: RE: NAMD CUDA on dual Nvidia 295 GPUs

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 23 2009 - 10:02:45 CDT

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 10:11 -0400, Sadhu, Shubho (NIH/NCI) [F] wrote:

> You could also use the +devices flag to specify certain GPU board(s)
> (you can find the numbers of the boards with the deviceQuery program
> in the Cuda SDK). I've found that if NAMD is using the same video card
> as the GUI, NAMD runs much slower. Use "grep binding <NAMD log file>"

this is an important point. particularly using the composite extension
and other x applications that cause many redraw events can cut the
performance of the GPU easily in half or worse. i found that vncviewer
is a very problematic application. in general it is good advice to
run everything but short tests on dedicated compute GPUs.

cheers,
   axel.