Re: Force Constant Units

From: Ramya Gamini (ramyabhargavi_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 14:01:28 CDT

Hi !

[u cm-2] should mean in units of cm-2

frequency = (1/2*pi) (k/m)^(1/2)

frequency = C (velocity of light) /wavelength (in cm-1)

k is the force constant
m is the reduced mass

k = cm-2* 4*pi^2*C^2*m

[4*pi^2*C^2*m] with 'C' and 'm' in appropriate units should tally the
dimension.

and, may be you have a typo but the other unit should be kcal mol-1 A-2 and
not kcal mol A-2.

hope this helps.
Ramya