Re: Measuring protein diffusion: results too small?

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 10:16:29 CDT

Hi Stephen,
what Langevin damping constant are you using, and have you tried a lower
value to see if it is affecting your results? I would be surprised if
the thermostat alone were responsible for 10x too small diffusion, but
it certainly could account for a lot of what you're seeing in the
pulling experiment:

If you have a Langevin damping constant of 5 ps^-1, for example, then if
you pulled your protein through vacuum at 0.8 m/s you would have (if
I've done my math right and your protein is about 8000 amu, which seems
right for 1AUM) a force opposing the velocity of 0.764 kcal / mol A.
That means you're not, effectively, pulling nearly as hard as you think
you are when you take the friction into account (and ignores all manner
of more complicated effects when you consider the first couple of
solvation shells as well). This is precisely why people generally do NVE
simulations with SMD.

So, you might want to try both of your experiments again with a much
weaker damping constant and see how that affects things. I'd also note
that obtaining a longer trajectory, maybe for the smaller system,
wouldn't hurt...

Best,
Peter