Re: soft-core FEP in namd 2.7b

From: Sebastian Stolzenberg (s.stolzenberg_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 21:29:32 CDT

Hi Jerome, Hi Chris Chipot,

@Chris Chipot: I think including Jerome's pic that I got through the
link from Chris Harrison should definitely help.

@Jerome:
ok, the lambda=1 case is fine with me :-)

however, for the lambda=0 case:

> Lennard-Jones (and of course it goes to zero as lambda vanishes). So

This is right for lambda_up_LJ, but what about lambda_down_LJ at lambda=0?
a) is there simply no soft-core potential for the vanishing set of
particles?
b) the vanishing set of particles are not expected to have clashes

if a): @Chris: maybe one could stress explicitly what interactions (what
with what) are considered for the soft-core potentials?
if b): is "fepVdwShiftCoeff=5.0" a little high, considering that even
non-clashing particles have distances of 3A or so?

Sorry, I lost the link to your original soft-core paper, if you could
send it to me again?

Thank you,
Sebastian