Re: FEP tutorial graph question

From: Christopher Hartshorn (cmhartshorn_at_wsu.edu)
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 12:05:21 CDT

Chris and Jerome,
Thank you again for the journal links, etc. So, I reran the tutorial
with the new parameters in 2.7 and the pllot "looked" better, but
nothing like the 2.6 type from tutorial. I then reran using NAMD2.6
and got exactly the same graph as in the tutorial (nice smooth
increase up to 20kcal/mol then sharrp/smooth drop near the end. I
guess this was to be expected because of the lack of the soft-core
approach in 2.6. So, I have three questions this time.

1) Besides the fact that the softcore approach is tunable, what are
the other advantages over the old? Is it computational cost or more
realistic, etc.

2) Since the latest 2.7 is so much faster (150%) on all of my systems
I would, of course, prefer to keep using it. What config file lines
would I put to start an FEP calculation in 2.7 that ran exactly the
same as 2.6 to test that extreme (e.g. softcore off) versus others
with softcore on? Would this just be "decouple off?"

3) Since these runs can take up to 25 days each, which parameters
would be best to change first in order to minimize the amount of runs
I would need to find the ideal set of softcore parameters? In other
words, what if anything would make me want to change, hypothetically,
fepElecLambdaStart 0.5 to fepElecLambdaStart 0.3 or fepVdwLambdaEnd
1.0 to fepVdwLambdaEnd 0.8 etc. etc. after looking at a plot of dG vs.
lambda step?

Thank you very much. I know I have a lot of questions. So, hopefully
they will be a benefit to others as well.

Chris

WSU