RE: Evaluating kinetic energy from a modified DCD file

From: Tibbitt, Jeffrey A. (JTibbitt_at_odu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 15:03:24 CDT

Mert,
I may be mistaken about the harmonicity of the quasiharmonic modes. I always thought they still represented harmonic vibrations (quasi in the sense that the potential function does not come from the harmonic approximation to the potential function). Like I said, I'm not an expert on the subject. It helps to keep this discussion going, so that at least I (and possibly others) can learn a little more. But the velocities along each mode must still be given by their frequencies though. Each mode has a frequency. And any subspace of modes would also have its frequency. So wouldn't combining the frequency and the mode vector supply the velocity? What else would the frequency mean except how long it takes to move along the mode?
Jeff