outputname and restartname

From: Neelanjana Sengupta (senguptan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 01:45:19 CDT

Hi NAMD community,

A quick "double-check" about something quite basic:

1. The 'outputname' corresponds to the .vel and .coor files written at the
last simulation step. But what happens when a simulation stops unnaturally
(say when a cluster crashes)? Am I right in assuming they still pick up the
values from the last step that ran succesfully (and hence can be used in
continuing the simulation)?

2. What are the binary filetypes written out with 'restartname' with the
default 'binaryrestart' ? (They are presumably not .coor and .vel). Isn't
the information in the restart files redundant if we already obtain the .vel
and .coor files with outputname?

Thanks and regards,
Neelanjana Sengupta