Re: use of tiElecLambdaStart (NAMD 2.7b1)

From: Floris Buelens (floris_buelens_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 04:29:56 CDT

Hi Brittany,

> But, this is a trick, so I want to do the thermodynamic integration as well.

Just to emphasise, FEP and TI are two ways of accessing a single quantity, the free energy change associated with an alchemical transition. The free energy change is the only physically meaningful result, and TI doesn't provide any additional insights as such.

> I would assume that the lack of charges for some values of lambda is
> somehow taken into account in the thermodynamic integration, but I
> would feel better if I knew how.

The delayed scaling of charges is handled transparently by both FEP and TI. When lambda <= elecLambdaStart, electrostatic interactions of the lambda-coupled atoms are switched off (multiplied by zero). With FEP, the free energy difference to the next 'window' will only include an electrostatic component if lambda > elecLambdaStart in that next window. With TI, the derivative of the electrostatic potential (dU/dlambda) is calculated even when lambda <= elecLambdaStart, but the integration should be performed only for elecLambdaStart < lambda < 1 (this is handled automatically by the integration script, NAMD_ti.pl).

> How would you know if you were using an inappropriate value of
> tiElecLambdaStart?

The main danger that has to be avoided is having exposed charges without a repulsive core (e.g. at least a partial van der Waals interaction). If this happens, you might end up with a situation where particles of opposite charge overlap and become trapped in an 'infinite' energy well. This eventuality should be covered by all but very small values of elecLambdaStart. If in doubt, the default values of elecLambdaStart and vdwLambdaEnd (0.5 and 0.5) are always risk-free.

Best wishes

Floris