Re: alchemical fep amber topology

From: Floris Buelens (floris_buelens_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 06:16:37 CDT

Sorry, I answered George's email before reading this reply. I have been confused in the past as to why Alchemify bothers to add non-bonded exclusions, since according to my reading of the code (going back to the original FEP in version 2.4) and experience, non-bonded interactions between the two lambda-coupled groups have always been excluded automatically at the source code level. Am I missing something fundamental here?? Do the non-bonded exclusions that alchemify adds impact on anything other than the pairwise force / energy calculation?
Back to the question, I use Amber format paramater/topology files with FEP and they're definitely fine with any groups that aren't bonded to the rest of the system, however if you wanted to do something with bonded groups some custom post-processor along the lines of alchemify would be required to remove angles and dihedrals that link that lambda=0 and lambda=1 end points.
Best,

Floris