Re: Selectively turning off electrostatic interactions

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 15:28:46 CDT

Greddy,

Can you please explain why you want to do this, particularly with an entire protein? This will not provide an accurate free-energy of solvation which some people have naively suggested before. Leaving the vdW potentials in full effect without electrostatics will result in aberrant dynamics that will propagate through your system with time leading to large inaccuracies. If you're lucky, the simulation will simply crash with velocity exceptions after several timesteps.

C.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733