Re: FEP/binding free energy difference WT vs Mut

From: Jerome Henin (heninj_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 18:08:24 CST

Dear Luis,

Yes, the thermodynamic cycle you designed is correct. Just in case, I
will add that in the dissociated state (computing deltaG2), there is
no need to include the unbound DNA in the actual simulation, as it
should not be interacting with the protein anyway.
Now let me try to answer your specific questions:

1) If you can afford it, yes, it is better to use PBC with PME.
However, in some cases, using a solvent bubble may be an acceptable
simulation environment. This is not my field of expertise, so I leave
it to others to comment on this if they want to.

2) If you don't use PME, there is no need to keep the system globally
neutral (see point 1). It you do, what I would recomment is having a
chloride counterion vanish (or a sodium appear) while the arginine
disappears. Ideally this counterion should have a positional restraint
("constraint" in NAMDese) to keep it somewhere in bulk solution.

3) You can obtain individual free energy contributions if you use the
TI implementation currently available in the development version of
NAMD (CVS). I would recommend that version in any case, as in contains
many improvements to the code in general and free energy calculations
in particular.

Best,
Jerome