Segmentation violation when running without an internet connection

From: jadelman_at_berkeley.edu
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 12:20:51 CST

I have compiled the net version of namd2.6 (MacOSX-ppc-c++) on my Apple
powerbook G4 to do some development and testing. When connected to the
internet, I am able to run namd by issuing the namd2 command as described
in the notes.txt file for running with a single processor on a
workstation. However without an active internet connection I get a
segmentation violation error. I've tried running using charmrun and the
options ++local, +p1, and ++debug in various combinations.

The error messages I get are:
- with charmrun ++debug ++local namd2 <input file>
Charmrun> All clients connected.
Charmrun> IP tables sent.
Charmrun> node programs all connected
Charm++: scheduler running in netpoll mode.
Charmrun: error on request socket--
Socket closed before recv.

- with namd2 <input file>
Charm++: standalone mode (not using charmrun)
Charm++: scheduler running in netpoll mode.
Segmentation fault

- with charmrun ++local +p1 namd2 <input file>
Charm++: scheduler running in netpoll mode.
-------------- Processor 0 Exiting: Caught Signal ----------
Signal: segmentation violation
Suggestion: Try running with '++debug', or linking with '-memory paranoid'.
Stack Traceback:
  [0] 0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x93be7bb4 _sigtramp + 68
Fatal error on PE 0> segmentation violation

I would like to be able to run namd without an internet connection when I
am traveling. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Josh