NAMD on Power5

From: Joachim Hein (joachim_at_epcc.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 11:29:17 CDT

Hi,

I have just added the following to the NAMD Wiki (NAMD on AIX section):

There are problems when trying to build NAMD for a Power5 architecture
when using early versions of IBM's xlc 8 compiler. These problems
disappear with later releases. Version 08.00.0000.0013 appears ok on AIX
5.3.

When using the xlc 7 compiler we observe that executables are
substantially faster (about 7%) on a 1.5 GHz Power5 system, when we
compile with -qarch=pwr4 -qtune=pwr4 than the suggested -qarch=com
-qtune=pwr3 (distribution). However don't expect the resulting executables
to be suitable for a IBM Power3 or older system.

Enjoy
   Joachim