Re: first aid

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 17:06:43 CDT

Hi Francesco,
the answers to your first couple of questions can be obtained from the
NAMD and VMD tutorials, available at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/. This will give you an
initial parameter set and the knowledge you need to use it. Other charmm
parameters can be obained from the charmm website and/or google.

For building parameters, you'll want to look at the paratool plugin that
comes with VMD (http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/paratool),
which will set up gaussian runs and do the analysis necessary for
parameterization. The methods for obtaining partial charges (and other
parameters) will be those used for the CHARMM forcefield, so you'll want
to look at the official CHARMM forcefield website
(http://www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/faculty/amackere/force_fields.htm)
and references cited therein.

Best,
Peter