Re: first aid

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 17:01:40 CDT

The quickest answer for most of what you ask is here:

http://www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/faculty/amackere/force_fields.htm

Typically, we use top/par all27 prot_lipid or prot_na.rtf/inp (yes,
their naming convention is a little overwhelming at first). Also, he
has some (somewhat scattered) papers/presentations on the force field
and how it was parameterized.

VMD has a couple tools, molefacture and paratool, to build and
parameterize new molecules; there are pages for these linked from the
VMD page ( www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins ). The guide to
paratool in particular may be easiest to understand regarding the
basics of force field parameterization for charmm.

You will also likely find the tutorials listed on our web site
( www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials ) very helpful in getting started.