Re: IMD forces and corresponding energies ..

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 18:16:05 CDT

Hi,

NAMD does not associate any energies with forces due to IMD. VMD
calculates forces based on the most recent coordinates it received from
NAMD and sends these forces back to NAMD asynchronously. NAMD has no idea
what the potential form is. This has never really been a problem in
practice, although it does make the conjugate gradient minimizer go into
fits, since (unlike in dynamics) the line minimizer actually uses the
total energy to bracket a minimum.

It has been my personal opinion that VMD should send NAMD a set of
restraint points or other parameters and let NAMD calculate the exact
corresponding forces and energies at every step. VMD could even ship NAMD
a complete Tcl force proc at every update. While not provided by the IMD
protocol, something like this could be implemented entirely in Tcl on the
NAMD side since the Tcl interpreter can use sockets directly.

-Jim