Swing this week, plus a lindy/swing workshop... from VP

From: Valentin Prisecaru (prisecar@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 26 1999 - 19:58:54 CDT

Hey Swing Fans,

    Summer's approaching... I wish you all the best of luck on
final exams! Note the Cutting Edge show Saturday eve, and
the AXE swing nite afterwards, and the Lindy/Swing I & II
workshop on Sunday at the White St. Arts Center.

    Also, I will be giving up my position as the President of the
Swing Society. Annmarie Hill will assume title of President
effective May 1, 1999. I'm graduating in 3 weeks with a Human
Nutrition degree, and I'm co-founding a nutrition clinic here in
town, as well as doing grad school in the fall, so I'll have less
time. Besides, we just had elections, and she beat me by a
narrow margin. That's how cool Annmarie is! (seriously, she's
a living doll). I will then be reduced to the merely "algorian"
title of Vice-President. It makes perfect sense though, because
I can still help out with the club, and my initials are "VP."

    Finally, I will be switching the e-mail list to a mailing list
server
to www.onelist.com, so we don't have to keep adding people
by hand, and so other officers like Annmarie, Celina Trujillo,
and Liza Suttle can send you events info (this takes a lot of work
off my shoulders -- thanks guys!). You won't have to do a thing,
but just know that you'll soon be receiving e-mails from really
cool, swingin' people like Celina and Liza at
champaignswing@onelist.com instead of me.

    I really enjoyed running this list this year, and hope to keep
on seeing all of you on the dance floor. I'll be around this
summer. The new list will be up and running by the end of
this week. In fact, the next e-mail you get should be via this
nifty new e-mail list. :)

Swing this week:

Tuesday, April 27, 1999
U of I Jazz Band II
Krannert, 8:00pm. Valene Granger (Val the Gal) of the
Swing Society will be singing 2 songs (Going to Chicago
and Hey, Look Me Over).
also...
Legends swing nite, lessons at 9, dancing 10 to 1

Wedesday
Dancing Illini Practice, Regent Ballroom (Savoy) 9:30 to 11.

thursday (day)
The 6th Annual Health Fair, Illini Rooms AB&C
The Swing Society will be performing from 10:30 to 11am, and
again from 11:30 to noon. There will be some serious publicity
(last year there were over 3000 in attendance, and we are
expecting close to 4000 throughout the day this year). Also,
when we take a break, non-members who feel especially
brave can jump in and dance too!

Thursday (night) (FULL MOON!)
Blind Pig Swing Nite, all ages
Tessa and Bradley will be giving lessons ($2, 7-8pm)
admission is $3 after 8pm. (Actually, full moon is Friday.)

Saturday (late morning/day)
Don Moyer's Boys & Girls club 10th Annual Duck Race
Crystal Lake Park, Lower Lake House Stage 10:30am to
11:30am. Free lunch for the first few swingers at the event.
The Duck Race is an annual fund raiser, and 3-5,000 people
visit the park throughout the day.

Saturday (evening)
Cutting Edge Spring Show, "The Big One"
8pm, Lincoln Hall Theatre, w/ special guests The Other Guys.
For those of you who are not familiar, Cutting Edge is a
performing song and dance ensemble (with swing!). Tickets $5.
See: www.uiuc.edu/ro/cuttingedge or call Jeff at 351-1491.

Saturday (night)
Alpha Chi Sigma Swing Night, last one of the semester!
9pm-1am, 606 W Ohio, Urbana. All ages, no smoking/drinking
$2 cover, free refreshments provided by Coca-Cola

Sunday (afternoon/early evening)
Lindy Hop/Swing Workshop
Location: White Street Arts Center. All ages (14 and above)
Times: Lindy Hop/Swing I (beginner): 3:00 to 4:45pm
            Lindy Hop/Swing II: 5:00 to 6:45pm
Instructor: Valentin Prisecaru
No experience necessary for beginner class, but a great review
for people who have already taken a beginner class. Previous
lindy/swing experience required for Lindy/Swing II class.
Cost: $10 for beginner or intermediate workshop, $15 for both.
Location: White Street Arts Center, located on White St,
between 3rd and 4th, dance studiois behind the red brick house.
If you've just taken the CRU Lindy workshop or are (or were)
enrolled in a CRU lindy class or Urbana Park District class,
you may take the Lindy/Swing I class for free, and only pay
for the Lindy/Swing II. Pre-registration is not necessary.

Sunday
the Office (Urbana) swing night!
Lindy tips 9pm by Warren and Anne, dancing 9:30 to 12:30

----------------------
future events:
        Remember, on Saturday, May 8th will be "Grand Central
Swing Station" by the Central High School Band Boosters. This
will be at the new Multimodal Transportation Center (train station)
in Champaign and general admission will have dancing from
9PM-1AM for $7. Featured are the 16 piece Mark Sheridan-
Rabideau Big Band, which has former members of the Ray
Charles Orchestra, as well as people who have played with the
Dorseys, Stan Kenton, and Benny Goodman! Also there will be
the Virtues, a well-known jump-blues/swing band in the area, as
well as the Edison Middle School and Champaign Central Jazz
bands. The proceeds all go to the Central High School Band.
Definitely something not to be missed! They have a web page at:
<http://www.prairienet.org/cpta/CentralHS/chsbandswing.html>.

Also, I'm considering having a graduation party, probably at a
park (early evening pot-luck picnic) on Friday, May 15. Stay tuned.

I gotta blow this popsicle stand.

Take care,

Valentin Ion Prisecaru

President,
The Swing Society of the U of I

"Love dances in the freshness of the unknown."

http://come.to/cu-swing
http://www.prairienet.org/white-street
http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/dancing/