Re: ANN: Competition Committee

yuan gao (y-gao1@COEWL.CEN.UIUC.EDU)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:50:21 -0500

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Henry Neeman wrote:

> I just thought of another possible solution: allow the judges to
> disqualify a couple if they're clearly and outrageously dancing
> down. That way, anyone who wasn't quite sure where they belonged
> would have an incentive to dance up.
>
> You'd have to check with the judges about whether that'd be
> practical, but it might be worth looking into.

Although that would be a nice thing to do, but it's inpractical IMHO.
The level of dancing between two couples who have "danced" for the
same amount of time can vary dramatically. It'd be really hard for a
Judge to know whether someone is actually "cheating"

In order for the current proposal to work well, the other schools in the
midwest need to also honor the same system, i.e. OSU, ND, CaseW. As long
as all the results are posted on the web by the 4 schools, then this
system will work in general, and we will have the basis to DQ a couple if
they are dancing down.

just my 2c worth :)
Yuan.

217-351-1833 (School Home #) "Grad school is the snooze button on the
y-gao1@uiuc.edu alarm clock of life."
y-gao1@ifp.uiuc.edu --Jim Squire
217-333-4344 (School Work #) EE grad in MIT