Dress Code did you say?

From: Sriram Shankar (sri213@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 13:22:40 CDT

    Wow, it has been sometime since I read or posted
    anything on this forum. But a little moment of
    nostaliga brought me to the discussion list, and I was
    piqued to read about the 'Dress Code' at the Regent,
    the purported reasons for it, and the alleged
    intention of at least one dancer (he sounded like
    Scott of old, except substituting froggie t-shirts for
    those obnoxiously "colorful" ties) to boycott the
    Regent in protest. To him I say, without intent to
    slight or start a war, ARE YOU INSANE!!! You should
    feel lucky to have a dance studio such as the Regent,
    with its humongous floor and mirrored walls rivaling
    Gary and Diane's Rogers Dance Studio in NJ, and an
    owner/instructor such as Dave who subsidizes lessons
    and parties for his perennially pauper student
    clientele. Count your blessings, young man, and speak
    no more of this to anyone.
    Besides that, I noticed few of the old names, some
    long absent. No more messages from Mark and Sheena?!
    Tanja and Ruth!! Oh where have ye gone! I suggested
    this to the industrial, yet indolent, Tanja over a
    year ago, and I shall reiterate, perhaps some one else
    will take up the initiative. Its time we had a
    dancers reunion. Minh was in contact with me
    recently, before he went underground once more. I'd
    am curious to see what came of the stellar dancers of
    yore - Andrew, Amy, Minh, Erika, yada yada yada. Lets
    do this Tanja, what do you think? I don't know if
    Hilary is still in the area, I heard from her around
    Christmas that she might be moving to SL. Bruce was
    in the NY day pictures from the Regent. The always
    effervescent Mary Sue was featured in one. I'd love
    to meet them all once more, I just need the incentive
    to drive up from Durham.
    Talking of Durham, Sheena and Mark will love the WCS
    community here. Its oddly cliquish and friendly at
    the same time, but composed of exceptional dancers.
    We had Kyle and Sara, Mario Robau, and more recently,
    Jordan and Tatiana give workshops here. My favorite
    part of that, the beautiful 'blonde brigade' from
    Charlotte travels over here for those events, and I
    was in hog heaven. :o)
    The ballroom community - and this to the young man
    that wanted to boycott, pay heed here - is small and
    barely growing. The triangle schools each have their
    dance clubs but none have produced quality products.
    There was - until recently - no good instructor worth
    commenting about. I long for the days of having
    advanced dancers to watch and learn from.
    Anyway, I got drawn in by the dress code conversation.
     I will remember to bring a nice dress shirt and tie
    the next time I visit, hopefully for Dancing illini
    Reunion weekend. Until then, happy dancing, and ciao!
    Sri.