Dancing Illini competition vocabulary

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 09:14:38 CDT

    As you may well know, the Dancing Illini competition is just a week away.
    I been there almost every year for 6 years so I hear some words that have
    been used often during the competition. Let me give you only a few of
    those words and their meanings. Most of you know these words already...

    "American" (n.)--means that the dance is in the American style, often
    using syllabus coming from the Arthur Murray, Fred Astaire, or the
    National Dance Council of America (NDCA) schools (i.e., American
    Rumba), or a combination of these schools.

    "Emcee" (n.)--the person who announces what dance will be
    danced (cha-cha, foxtrot, etc.), the type of heat in the dance
    (preliminary, final, etc), and tells the judges how many to recall in the
    heats. The emcee also announces the couples' numbers of those who are
    recalled to further heats, and announces the places the couples got after
    the final heats.

    "Heat" (n.)--means the dance round itself, whether it is preliminary,
    semi-final, or final. This word is often used in track and swimming
    competitions.

    "International" (n.)--means that the dance is in International style,
    with the syllabus taken from the Imperial Society of Teachers of
    Dancing (ISTD).

    "Nightclub" (n.)--means a group of dances that usually occur more often in
    nightclubs than in ballrooms (example: hustle); such dances don't
    usually travel around the floor.

    "Open" (n.)--means that the dance heat is open to anyone and is not
    restricted to level (like 'beginner' or 'advanced')

    "Open choreography" (n.)--means any dance step or figure done in challenge
    position or shine position, or, in some cases, any figure that are not
    done in closed position or hold. Also called "open work."

    "Recall" (v.)--means to call back a couple for the next heat.

    Good luck for all of you dance competitors out there!