"Burn The Floor" comes to Champaign on November 8

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 15:50:36 CDT

    Let me tell you that "Burn The Floor" will come to Champaign on November
    8 at the Assembly Hall. I was the first to see the "Burn The Floor"
    showbills that were posted at the Illini Union.

    I won't have time to see the show live but I highly suggest you see the
    show. This ballroom extravaganza will literally blow you away. I
    describe the show as "Lord of the Dance--Ballroom Style." ("Lord Of
    The Dance" was the Irish formation dance spectaular featuring Micheal
    Flatley.)

    Obviously I won't give the whole show away, despite the fact that on
    Friday night, I watched my personal copy of the VHS tape of the show.
    I watched it from beginning to end. Some of the Dancing Illini students
    got a preview of that show's finale, thanks, of course, to Holly Hutber,
    where dancers danced a fast version of the samba to a mambo number,
    "Do You Want To Dance With Me?", at the Freer Gym, just as Holly and
    Adrian were about to rap up the Latin Technique sessions.

    I can give away, however, some of the things you will see in the show...

    In the swing dance scene, the swing dancing will focus on the Lindy Hop
    and certain themes from the swing era in the 1940s. Of course, jive will
    be danced, too. Two very famous swing songs from World War II will be
    played.

    The paso doble scene emphasizes very much on flamenco and uses some
    of the dramatic Bizet music from his opera "Carmen." If you may or may
    not know, Carmen was a tragic story of Don Jose, a Spanish soldier who
    gets jealous at the title role, whose Bohemian law dictates her right
    whether to love a man or not. Bizet gave us some very memorable numbers
    from the opera, like the "Habanera" and the "Overture", which is still
    played in TV commercials even up to now.