Let's dance but also let's remember the great national tragedy

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 10:00:48 CDT

    President Bush considers today as a 'national day of mourning'. For all of
    you avid dancers out there who will be going to the Regent tonight for
    the social ballroom dance or staying over there for the salsa dance, my
    heart goes out for all of the innocent people of the World Trade Center
    who were killed or maimed in the vicious attacks on September 11th. I've
    been to New York two times and I still adore the city because since I am
    a Chicago native, it resembles almost like Chicago--it has everything. I
    also like New York because it was the first home for salsa dancing when
    Puerto Ricans and Cubans brought the folk dances like the son, guaracha,
    guajira, guaguanco, rumba, bolero, mambo, mozambique, and guapacha into
    one dance genre--salsa, and its first salsa record company, Fania
    (remember the Fania All-Stars and their song, "Candela"?). My
    friend whom I miss, Carlos Varela (you know him as a former salsa dance
    teacher who taught in Champaign for several years), is in New York. I
    only hope that he was not in the World Trade Center on that fateful
    Tuesday.

    Sincerely,

    Charles Smith
    Ballroom and Latin dancer