From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 10:58:43 CDT

Dear Hitoshi,
  It appears that your machine is unable to use FTP to
retrieve structures from the PDB directly. We have updated the
new VMD 1.8 test versions with code that retrieves these structures
via the web instead of FTP, as we have found that it is generally
more reliable than FTP, since many firewalls and proxies allow web
connections even when they block FTP transfers. If you use the
direct-download feature from the PDB a lot, then I'd recommend that
you try one of the new VMD 1.8 pre-release versions which should work
better for you in this regard. If you prefer to stick with the prodoction
version of VMD, then we expect to have VMD 1.8 released in the next two
months or so.

Thanks,

  WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/‾johns/      Fax: 217-244-6078