Re: NAMD performance on a supercomputer with Intel Xeon Platinum 8160 and 100Gb Intel Omni-Path Full-Fat Tree

From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2021 - 11:10:03 CST

Hi Vlad,

In addition to the great points Axel and Giacomo have made, I’d like to point out that the 8160 is a 24 core processor, and that there are likely 2 of them on a given node. In these two socket configurations, where there are two physical CPU dies, I’ve often found that the best performance is achieved when you treat each socket as its own node, and allocate 2x the number of “tasks” as you have nodes. That way, each SMP task gets placed on its own socket. If you don’t, each node is trying to get all 48 cores across both sockets to work together, which ends up saturating the UPI links between the sockets, and can be detrimental to performance.

This is usually a bigger problem for SMP-based builds. In my experience, CPU-only systems benefit from MPI based builds, where the number of tasks is equal to the number of CPUs. Usually this is a performance win for modestly sized systems at the expense of scalability for really big systems.

-Josh