eFieldNormalized

From: Fateme Ghadirian (fateme.ghadirian_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2021 - 10:26:31 CST

Dear NAMD users,

I have a system which contains afully hydrated bilayer with some particles in the aqueous part of the system. Thesimulation run is in NPT. I want to add constant electricfield to this system to investigate its possible effects on the particles andthe bilayer. In the following tutorial

http://bionano.physics.illinois.edu/tutorials/electrostatic-maps-and-ion-conduction

It has used

eFieldOn yes

eField 0.0 0.0 -0.134
In its.conf file to do the constant electric field simulation.

But in the following link

https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10b1/ug/node42.html

The electric field in the .conf file hasapplied as follows

eFieldOn yes

eField 0.0 0.0 -0.134

eFieldNormalized yes

By searching in namd-l questions, I foundsome opposite explanations about eFieldNormilized:

https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.2016-2017/2486.html

1) The eFieldNormilized statement is intended toavoid excessive pressure in an NPTsimulation in the presence of a constant electric field.

2) The eFieldNormalized does not protect the simulation from “excessivepressure”: it simply defines the electric field with units relative to the unitcell.

I do not understand what eFieldNormalizedmeans and what its function in an NPT simulation is, any help for itsclarification would be appreciated.
And also I need to apply constant electricfield to my NPT simulation, should I use eFieldNormalized yes or not???

What are the consequences of not using theeFieldNormalized in Simulations?

Thanks in advance