Re: eABF 3D sampling using distance Colvars + X and Y: averaged PMF difference to 1D sampling

From: René Hafner TUK (hamburge_at_physik.uni-kl.de)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2021 - 13:52:19 CDT

Hi Jérôme!

    The way I extract it was to run second abf instance with only the
    distanceFromMembrane colvar that is **not** applied.

    Which turned out to be the same as when just weighting the
    zgrad(x,y,z) by the respective counts and average over X,Y.

    But we were wondering whether this is the correct way.

    I even tried an easier setup with an almost flat membrane surface
    where I can compare results to a simple distanceZ variable.

    Here the distanceMin 1D case returns 4.6 (+. 0.1) kcal/mol (same as
    distanceZ)

                             the 3D case returns dG = 4.3 (+- 0.1)
    kcal/mol (with the above assumption)

    Though what you suggest is to calculate the marginal distribution
    via the following?

    What I additionally needed to do in order to gain a smooth curve
    here was to weight every grid point by its counts (such that "bad"
    guesses with low counts get suppressed). But I am not yet the sure
    the scale is correct.

Best

René

Dipl.-Phys. René Hafner