Re: Picking a GPU for namd 3.0

From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2021 - 12:52:30 CDT

Hi Chris,

The price is unlikely to be justified for the desktop/workstation/ad-hoc
computing you are describing. The big benefit for the A6000 or other
cards in what used to be called the quadro line are that they have gobs
of memory. So while my older 8GB GTX 980 card will sometimes throw out
of memory exceptions if I try rendering too big of a structure, the RTX
8000 in lab with its 48GB of RAM will render multi-million atom
structures just fine. In terms of CUDA performance, I believe that they
are pretty comparable for NAMD3 performance on smaller systems, although
I've never had hardware in hand to try. They both basically use the same
chip, the GA102. I think the real trick will be getting your hand on
either card though, as there have been relatively widespread shortages
for consumer GPU hardware.

-Josh

--
Josh Vermaas
Assistant Professor, MSU-DOE Plant Research Lab and Department of Biochemisty and Molecular Biology