Re: NAMD speed and Scaling

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 28 2021 - 19:01:54 CST

Hi Raghav, without knowing the details of how NAMD and GROMACS were built
on your cluster, advice can only be quite generic. There are a lot of
factors that may affect how each code goes.

Two general pieces of advice:

1) Review each line of input in the NAMD and GROMACS scripts, and make sure
you are using the same parameters in each (cutoffs, pairlist frequencies,
etc), and that GROMACS is built with double precision (unless you're
running both codes on GPU nodes). You need to compare apples with apples.
Speaking from experience (I built and benchmarked both codes for my
colleagues on our internal cluster) I found GROMACS to be faster at lower
node counts, and NAMD overtaking it at higher node counts before scaling
out. This with equivalent inputs, though.

2) Pick the code and build configuration that work best for the given set
of features and the problem that you are dealing with. It is common to use
multiple
codes on the same project, when each has unique advantages or features.
And there are also other codes that can handle well a system your size with
CHARMM force field on different hardware including single-GPUs.

Giacomo